HOW T0 PLAY RAINBOW QUEST!
(Please -- Alter rules to meet your needs!)
Rainbow Quest! © TM affirms the diversity, culture, and milestones of the LGBTQ community, including your own! An educational (and hilarious) activity suitable for ages 11 years & upward. Use your discretion to pass over or adjust any prompt considered too difficult or mature. It’s like your very own Gay Pride Event in a box! (Just add people!)
The quest is as much about the journey as the destination!
Players discover hidden talents as they visit a variety of rainbow color-coded challenges along the path to LGBTQIQA discovery. All begin at the ‘bleak world’ and advance until a player arrives at the colorful ‘better world,’ though all who play are winners just from sharing the journey.
- PLAYERS MAY CHOOSE UP TO TWO ALTERNATE PROMPT CARDS OR MOVE BACK THREE (3) SPACES AND ACCEPT The DESIGNATED CHALLENGE, OR THEY MAY SURRENDER THEIR TURN.
- IF DESIRED, PLAYERS MAY CHOOSE TO PAIR UP AND PLAY AS A TEAM.
FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS:
- PLAYERS MUST ATTEMPT THE FIRST CHALLENGE PROMPT SELECTED, OR MOVE BACK THREE (3) SPACES AND MEET THAT COLOR’S CHALLENGE, OR FORFEIT THEIR TURN.
IF YOU HAVE LIMITED TIME:
- Rainbow Quest! features many opportunities for discussion, so, consider using the 90-second timer for every turn.
- For a large group, form teams to limit the number of turns.
- Use the 16-sided die for a faster game or for 5+ players.
- All players or teams start counting from the ‘bleak world’ and the first player to find their way to a more colorful, better world wins the game, but everyone wins as they follow the colorful and challenging Rainbow Quest!
- The first player/team selects a pawn, then rolls the die and advances that number of spaces from the 'bleak world.' Each color of the rainbow presents a different color-coded challenge. Refer to these rules or the handy ‘quick start guide’ and matching icons for a summary!
- If you succeed at your challenge, on your next turn roll the die to meet your new challenge. If you do not succeed, you may either remain on that space & on your next turn try that challenge again, or move back three (3) spaces to try an alternate challenge.
- Because players get to move ahead one space when matching another player’s answer, by your next turn you may have moved ahead to a different challenge.
- After each turn, return the prompt card to the rear of its colored section.
As you land on each color:
'Rainbow Choice’ – (Restless Feet icon) Choose your favorite challenge to test your knowledge, share a story, or build your communication skills by doing a charade or drawing a picture.
FREEHAND! (Paint Brush Icon) Pick the 1st red card (don’t let other players see it!) Set the 90-second timer, and on a pad, draw a pictrure of what is written at the top, using the description below the prompt as an aid if needed. Players who correctly identify your drawing move ahead one, and you get to roll again on your next turn. If no one guesses correctly, stay and try again on your next turn, or go back 3 spaces and try that challenge!
YOU CAN QUOTE ME! (Celebrity Icon) When you land on an orange space, listen as another player takes the first card behind the orange divider and reads the quote to you. Decide which of the two celebrities actually spoke those words. (The correct answer is marked by a pink triangle.) Get it correct and roll on your next turn for your new challenge. If wrong, try again on your next turn or go back 3 spaces to try that challenge!
YOU'VE GOT TALENT! (Mime Icon) Select, but don’t reveal the first yellow card from behind the divider, set the 90 second timer, then act out the prompt at the top of the card (like charades) until someone correctly guesses the phrase you are trying to convey. (Use the “You’ve Got Talent” hint card if needed.) The person who guesses correctly advances one space and you roll on your next turn. If no one guesses correctly, try the challenge again on your next turn or go back 3 spaces to try another challenge!
JUST BETWEEN US! (Whisper Icon) Pick the first card behind the green divider, read aloud and respond to the prompt by sharing something about yourself. There is no right or wrong answer. Share as much or as little as is comfortable! Roll the die on your next turn to meet your next challenge.
YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME? (Group Interview Icon) Pick the first blue card and read it aloud. Write your answer down and start the 90-second timer. Players write down how they predict you would answer. Players who match move ahead one space, and you roll on your next turn to meet your next challenge. If no one matches you, remain to try again on your next turn, or go back 3 spaces and try that challenge instead.
UNPINKABLE! (Flying Pig Icon) Read the first pink card aloud, and move as indicated. "Unpinkable" predicaments are the delightful (?) surprises encountered along our journeys that present us with opportunities to gain wisdom.
DID YA KNOW THAT? (Questioning Head Icon) Listen as another player reads to you the first card behind the purple divider. The correct answer is marked with a pink triangle. If you know the answer, roll again on your next turn. Answer incorrectly and remain in place to try another purple card on your next turn, or move back 3 spaces and try that color’s challenge.
THE CLOSET. (Key and keyhole) When you land in the closet, share a coming out experience. (And yes, non-gay people often have to come out as ‘straight’ when they spend time with their LGBTQ family & friends) . Remember, coming out is an ongoing process -- not a one-time event, so you’ll have many stories to share. On your next turn roll and advance to your next Rainbow Quest challenge!
WINNING THE GAME: When a player reaches the Better World they must accept the challenge that the other players select for them. NOTE: Just Between Us, The Closet, and Unpinkable are not options for this final challenge!
Succeed and you win, or you must move back the number of spaces last shown on your die and then roll again on your next turn. Play proceeds as usual until a player wins Rainbow Quest! Until then, enjoy the game, as each round of the game makes a better world. If no player has reached the ‘Better World, in the time limit you have, the player who is closest to the 'Better World' is declared the winner of the round!
Use the enclosed blank cards to create your own unique prompts!